Buying your first home is an exciting event. It is literally life-changing. So, of course, you want everything to go as smoothly as possible. That’s why it’s always a good idea to get a professional home inspection.
Home inspections help buyers know what they are getting into. Some sellers won’t disclose or don’t even know about potential problems with the house they are selling.
Below, we’ve discussed some home inspection red flags to look for.
Home Inspection Red Flags
Having your home inspected, whether it is required or not, in our opinion, is always worth the money. You may not be able to spot everything a home inspector can. If you miss something, you may be stuck with expensive repairs and projects. Home inspectors will help you spot these red flags, including:
- Roofing Issues – Checking the roof from inside and out is essential. The outside may look fine until you see it from the attic and can spot the issues. Your inspector will keep an eye out for water stains, sagging roof, damaged shingles, leaks, and gutter problems.
- Water Damage – This is a big one. Water damage can be tough to spot. If it is left untreated, you may end up with mold and structural damage.
- Pests – Pests of all types are a problem. Wood-destroying pests can be the worst. These pests, termites for example, can leave your home with structural damage that can cost thousands to repair.
- Old Electrical Systems – Outdated electrical systems are a big red flag. In homes predating 1960, odds are the electrical system isn’t up to code. These outdated systems are hazardous and can cause fires. And fixing this issue is expensive. You may need to spend upwards of $30,000, depending on the size of the house.
- Plumbing – Along the lines of water damage, old pipework can cause leaks that can damage the home. Keep an eye out for poor drainage, excessively high water pressure, rust, and mold.
- HVAC – Your HVAC system is critical to controlling the atmosphere in your home. Ventilation, heating, and cooling are all part of the HVAC system. If it isn’t working correctly, you can have air quality issues, water damage, and even mold.
Apply for Your First Home Today
Ready to buy your first home? Start the pre-approval process today! Mortgage Solutions Financial is here to help you every step of the way. Call our office today to begin the application process or speak to an expert about your financial needs.